In Elections By Erin Supinka on April 7th 2014

The Official 2014 - 2015 Student Government Candidates

Vote here: vote.rit.edu

President & Vice President:
- Ashley Carrington and Tyler Pierce
- Joe Sciandra and Jim Francesca

The Presidential Debates will be Thursday, April 10th 6pm-8pm in the Library Room (2nd floor Campus Center)

College Candidates
- CAST: Kelsey Kiefer
- CHST: Kimberly Duru
- CIAS: Andrea Schaver
- COLA: Zoe Gordon
- COS: Sarah Wang
- GCCIS: Katheleen Tigue and Nathan Castle
- Graduate: Kshitij Luthria and Arun Raj Rajana
- Greek: Peter Ryan Jr.and Netanya Learner
- KGCOE: Maria Florencia de Sande
- NTID: Franly Ulerio-Nunez
- Women's: Joyce Kassab and Nicole Howley

Since there were no successful candidates for the positions of College of Business Senator or Cross-Registered Senator, these elections will be held at a later date, to be determined by the Elections Committee and next year's Director of Student Relation in accordance with Article III, Section VI of Student Government's bylaws.
Remember! Voting starts on April 14th and runs until midnight on April 17th!

In liveblog, debates, Elections By Erin M Supinka on April 11th 2014

Below is a transcript of the 2014 SG Presidential Debates.

Erin M Supinka
06:19:15 pm
Tristan, our Moderator will be denoted by an "M" while the candidates, Ashley, Tyler, Joe and Jim will be represented by their first and last initial.
Erin M Supinka
06:25:38 pm
M: Question two, What is your position campus-wide smoking ban?
Erin M Supinka
06:27:00 pm
TP: We don't believe that the plan is currently the best course of action. There are students who look at smoking differently. The only way they can enforce that with community enforcement and that will create a lot of conflict. We think there should be a compromise put in place, enforcing the 25 feet policy
Erin M Supinka
06:29:09 pm
JF: Tyler brought up a great point, students do use tobacco as a stress reliever. It would take time to get off campus, time out of my schedule to smoke. We need to reach a happy medium between the two to make places that people can smoke on campus
Erin M Supinka
06:29:40 pm
TP: Jim made a great point that we need to a compromise and happy medium between banning and not banning.
Erin M Supinka
06:29:48 pm
JF: No further comment
Erin M Supinka
06:30:39 pm
M: Theme #2: Student life and the first question is: In your view, outside academic life, what populations are underrepresented and how would you work with SG to fix that?
Erin M Supinka
06:31:58 pm
JS: I don't think we have any. Everyone's background is represented. Diversity and inclusion is great here. We have MSOs and organizations that are dedicated to diversity. But we can expand them. Helping SG expand events by utilizing SG's PR services to help these orgs advertise. We can serve people better.
Erin M Supinka
06:32:06 pm
M: Same question to Ashley and Tyler.
Erin M Supinka
06:33:22 pm
TP: We believe the most underrepresented students on campus are students who are not white, hearing males. After visiting different clubs on campus, we've seen there are a lot of people especially like women who misrepresented on campus and we want to make sure. We'd like to work with the senators next year to make sure everyone is represented and spoken for.
Erin M Supinka
06:33:34 pm
M: Now for rebuttal time! Joe and Jim?
Erin M Supinka
06:34:04 pm
JS: I can agree with the white male point, being a white male myself I can agree. I don't want to say I want to represent one group, I want everyone to be equally represented.
Erin M Supinka
06:35:19 pm
AC: Yes, we offer services for people on campus. Not everyone went through the same challenges to get here to campus. We want to make sure everyone's voices. Make sure everyone is speaking up for their constituents
Erin M Supinka
06:35:41 pm
M: What is your position on the division of students' activities fees?
Erin M Supinka
06:36:04 pm
AC: Every year students pay $250 to RIT that is distributing throughout Student Affairs.
Erin M Supinka
06:37:18 pm
AC: The funds SG gets from that fee is split into two categories: Finance Committee and SG costs. Finance Committee helps organizations, students and clubs by given them funds to help them. We want to make this transparent and show people how that money is being given out and that it is being given out proportionally.
Erin M Supinka
06:38:00 pm
AC: The other part is split up into multiple portions within SG. Ideally most of the money, is going to new projects but we'll speak on that later.
Erin M Supinka
06:39:34 pm
JF: I myself am not involved with SG at the moment and I have little knowledge on how funds have been distributed to clubs on campus. I think there is a lack of transparency in how the finances look. We want to include a breakdown on the website that shows how the money is broken down. We want people to trust where the money is going. For clubs that do get denied for funds from SG, we feel SG should help push these organizations toward other organizations that could help them.
Erin M Supinka
06:41:01 pm
AC: When clubs are denied, we explain to them the other resources right after the meeting, in the letter and even contacting organizations who might be interested in helping. We are also looking to establish a committee specifically for Greeks because it's not that SG doesn't want to give money to Greek organizations it's the way our bylaws are written.
Erin M Supinka
06:41:35 pm
JF: I was not directed toward clubs/organizations who could help us out. We like the idea of the Greek Finance board but we think it needs to be hashed out more.
Erin M Supinka
06:42:00 pm
M: Now, teams will NOT be able to respond to the opponents' answers.
Erin M Supinka
06:42:24 pm
M: What role does SG serve in promoting diversity and inclusion?
Erin M Supinka
06:43:56 pm
JS: We work directly with MSOs and these organizations who are directly linked with diversity and inclusion. I want to establish a way to know what is going on with MSOs and have them share what is going on. SG used to be a family, knit community but over recent years it's dissipated. We want to bring back the diversity and inclusion into the senate and SG so we know what's going on with each other instead of just us.
Erin M Supinka
06:45:57 pm
AC: SG has certainly tried to promote diversity and inclusion. We switch up seats in senate to make you sit next new people to learn more about people. We want to Office of Diversity, ALANA and SG to work together to hold more group meetings and group-planned events. We also want to make sure SG is more a part of the Deaf Community and begin planning events that are more collaborative.
Erin M Supinka
06:46:24 pm
M: Two more questions and then pizza! Next question: What role does SG serve in promoting sustainability on campus?
Erin M Supinka
06:47:33 pm
TP: SG just launched the bike share a few days ago, the zero waste event: The Bowl that is Super and Break bus as well expanding those services and find more ways to align ourselves with the institutes goals. For example, more zero waste.
Erin M Supinka
06:49:24 pm
JF: Flyers are everywhere. Cluttered and increasing our carbon footprint. We'd like to keep SG site updated with events and potentially set up a virtual online board. We also would like expand the zero waste events as well. Potentially expanded it into the new hockey arena. Also more recyclable bins around campus that are more noticeable. We don't have many flyers around campus. This is because we wanted to promote a more green campaign and decrease our carbon footprint.
Erin M Supinka
06:49:50 pm
M: Next question, How do you plan to develop collaborate with a broad array of groups?
Erin M Supinka
06:51:14 pm
JS: We want to encourage more collaboration. Jim was the captain of the Polar Plunge team and partnered with Alpha Sigma Alpha and another organization. We want to increase the use of the Link. We want the Director of Clubs and Organizations to become an expert on the Link so that our director is able to show them who might be interested in the event. We have the Link, let's make it work!
Erin M Supinka
06:52:47 pm
AC: Right now, a lot of clubs already collaborate, for finances, resources and networking. We'd like to develop a program for clubs to work with RLI to help clubs develop skills they may be struggling with. Like recruitment and finances. We want to make sure the clubs know how to get the best out of their experience.
Erin M Supinka
06:53:29 pm
AC: We'd like to help acknowledge and look to researching how to reward these clubs for collaborate. More importantly, we'd like to hear from you. Tell us how to help you.
Erin M Supinka
06:53:38 pm
M: PIZZA BREAK!
Erin M Supinka
07:02:19 pm
M: What would SG 2014-2015 be under your leadership?
Erin M Supinka
07:02:28 pm
AC: We're action focused. We want to make things happen.
Erin M Supinka
07:02:42 pm
AC: Let's get it done. Period.
Erin M Supinka
07:03:27 pm
JS: To branch out from this year's slogan "ground breaking" it talks about about building something. We'd like be building blocks of the future.
Erin M Supinka
07:03:34 pm
JF: Advocacy.
Erin M Supinka
07:03:43 pm
M: What services will your prioritize?
Erin M Supinka
07:04:20 pm
TP: We don't think we should prioritize services. Services affect multiple students. We don't want to prioritize. We want to make sure they all get done and done to the best of our ability.
Erin M Supinka
07:05:41 pm
JF: We also don't want to prioritize. We don't know what students want from the services right now. We'd like get the feedback. We'd like to expand services that were successful (break bus, resume printing and dry cleaning) and work toward an online rideshare that was safe.
Erin M Supinka
07:05:53 pm
M: What services are you looking to drop or add?
Erin M Supinka
07:07:38 pm
JS: We want to work on the ride board. A lot of people walk by the current physical one. We'd like to make it an online feature. A lot of people are online. Let's say I want to go to Toronto. Instead of a huge process, just typing something in and looking it. We want to see if that's what we need. We want SG to be known for what we are doing. We don't want to drop and add but to expand.
Erin M Supinka
07:09:56 pm
TP: We want to add something similar to WhiteHouse.gov site to SG's site. We want to get people aware of why decisions are being made. For instance the parking garage, we all want it but it doesn't work with Dr. Destler's sustainable plan and it takes away from our LEED certification. If something gets enough vote we want to bring it to administration. We want to open libraries 24/7. Students are up late and they need a space to work. Yes, SG is already working on the NRH lab but we need more space. We'd like to implement swipe access to certain labs for certain students who need access to programs with specific computer labs.
Erin M Supinka
07:10:51 pm
TP: We also want to work on strengthening the mental health services. We also want to make a syllabi system that students can see how a class is structured instead of looking on ratemyprofessors.com and getting biased reviews.
Erin M Supinka
07:11:29 pm
M: Last question before audience question - United Purchase was a service that SG created and fewer than 10 enrolled, why was it unsuccessful?
Erin M Supinka
07:14:49 pm
AC: Kudos to Tristan for spearheading the initial. The one issue was the timing of the implementation. It was set to start in spring semester. We were looking to reach freshmen students, who don't always know what is going on. We'd like to reach out the freshmen parents before they get to campus instead of just the freshmen themselves. By the way, United Purchase would be able purchase goods in bulk. Internal support was another issue. A lot of senators are upper classmen and already have supplies. I was one of those people who had everything and did not sign up. Finally, we want to educate students. We need invite more people to understand what it is and how it can help you. The PR was great but also channeling our social media and letting everyone know what it is.
Erin M Supinka
07:15:53 pm
JS: To all the non-SG'ers who knew what United Purchase was? That's what I thought. PR was not enough. It wasn't given out at the right time. People didn't know. That's a problem. SG is here to serve the students and most people don't know what we're trying to do. That's a huge problem with SG.
Erin M Supinka
07:16:17 pm
JS: We need transparency. We need your input. We need it from the beginning and basis.
Erin M Supinka
07:16:17 pm
JS: We need transparency. We need your input. We need it from the beginning and basis.
Erin M Supinka
07:16:40 pm
JS: We need transparency. We need your input. We need it from the beginning and basis. Is it worth our time? Our money? We need to make sure students will use it.
Erin M Supinka
07:21:15 pm
M: Audience question time!
Erin M Supinka
07:24:17 pm
Audience: What do you like best about your opponents' platform?
Erin M Supinka
07:24:37 pm
JF: I think they did an excellent job on speaking on services we offer and could offer.
Erin M Supinka
07:25:18 pm
TP: Their emphasis on advocacy for students. It's not just our campus it's your guys' campus too and we like their emphasis on advocacy.
Erin M Supinka
07:26:23 pm
Audience: To all candidates - How would you make sure that you would not be biased toward allotting money to certain organizations?
Erin M Supinka
07:27:56 pm
JF: A similar event received funding while our event did not receive funding. There needs to be a clear cut ruling so we need to understand why or why not things are getting funds.
Erin M Supinka
07:28:50 pm
AC: Point of information, both groups received funding for the same things. We've tried to make it more apparent of what clubs can/cannot request. We've also revised bylaws twice so more organizations and clubs could receive funding.
Erin M Supinka
07:29:26 pm
Audience: How would you be sure you included everyone in your cabinet? Or within cabinet?
Erin M Supinka
07:30:44 pm
AC: This year we have one of the best cabinets. We're very diverse. We have a little piece of campus. We want the best qualifications. We want to get people who can do the most within the year. We will try to be diverse but we want to make sure we get the best people who can do the most. We're not going to tailor our cabinet members.
Erin M Supinka
07:31:15 pm
JS: We don't want to base our cabinet off of who is just backgrounds. We want experience and people who can do the best job. We want the best representative and who's going to do the best.
Erin M Supinka
07:31:50 pm
Audience: For all, have you visited any of the large student-run events, i.e. Tora Con?
Erin M Supinka
07:32:15 pm
JS: I checked out Tora Con, I wasn't directly involved but I did come to admire the RIT campus and the events.
Erin M Supinka
07:32:52 pm
AC: I did go to Tora Con observe not participate, but I did have two roommates who were really involved and I loved watching how excited she got and how RIT had a place to foster that energy.
Erin M Supinka
07:33:31 pm
TP: I've visited Tora Con as well. I like to visit different clubs and organizations
Erin M Supinka
07:33:58 pm
Audience: Do you have any specific plans to make it easier for everybody to plan things around these events?
Erin M Supinka
07:35:07 pm
AC: One issue to specific to Tora Con is their issue with reserving the Field House. We want to see why that's happening and help branch that communication.
Erin M Supinka
07:36:09 pm
JS: We want to make sure other organizations know that something of this size is coming to campus and letting people know it's happening so they can plan around, etc.I really want to make these big events to be more zero waste. It fits in our overall goal as campus.
Erin M Supinka
07:37:15 pm
Audience: Will you expand/keep the exchange the program?
Erin M Supinka
07:37:40 pm
JS: Yes. I want to expand it past office hours and requiring senators to go to each other's events so we can understand what each other is doing.
Erin M Supinka
07:38:38 pm
AC: I want to start the year off doing this. We want to get SG comfortable with going to NTID and getting involved with NTID. We want expand the program.
Erin M Supinka
07:39:25 pm
Audience: To Joe and Jim, is working with Wheelie, are you aware of Wheelie? And have you looked into other student-run initiatives?
Erin M Supinka
07:40:02 pm
JS: We want to continue to expand that relationship or work with other students. I haven't put that much thought into yet but we want to student input on this.
Erin M Supinka
07:40:05 pm
JS: We want to continue to expand that relationship or work with other students. I haven't put that much thought into yet but we want to student input on this.
Erin M Supinka
07:40:33 pm
Audience: How will you continue to push the petition website that is already in works?
Erin M Supinka
07:41:21 pm
AC: This came about afterward we announced our initiative, so we would work to continue to grow that.
Erin M Supinka
07:41:39 pm
Audience: How would you represent the CMS students and USP students?
Erin M Supinka
07:42:36 pm
JS: I made a separate sheet so these students who were not represented so they could sign. I know we've been working on something and I want to continue that. What are we doing if we are not representing all students?
Erin M Supinka
07:43:20 pm
Audience: There has been disconnect between different branches, breakdown of communication and lack of support, how will you better the internal structure?
Erin M Supinka
07:45:54 pm
AC: I've noticed the disconnect. And we've discussed it on multiple occasions. We want to make sure they know how each other works. We want to continue the senator/cabinet/NSC retreat but have it at the beginning of the year. We also want to have more events that bridge the gap between the two bodies. Tyler's position will be working with the senators on a day-to-day basis. We want to make sure everyone is being held accountable. I will be working with cabinet members, I too will be holding them accountable so ultimately everyone is working to the best of their ability. If SG is functioning at the best it can, then we are helping and representing the students.
Erin M Supinka
07:48:12 pm
JS: As a senator, I was a senator. I was the new guy at one point. I didn't know who anybody was or what we were doing but I tried to learn what was going. I wanted to know what everyone is doing. I noticed people didn't know what was going. I want everyone to know what each other is doing. Having meetings run successfully and efficiently. We also want to work on a retreat so everyone can develop relationships.
Erin M Supinka
07:48:58 pm
Audience: To Jim and Joe, how would you implement your goal of keeping stuff in on campus apartments?
Erin M Supinka
07:49:50 pm
JS: They don't fill every space. It probably couldn't be a free but I want to try and make it available for a fee. It's not going to be an easy process. We're going to have work with administration and housing.
Erin M Supinka
07:50:58 pm
Audience: What is your plan to reaching out to students beside posters and Facebook?
Erin M Supinka
07:52:38 pm
AC: We've talked about this a lot. Tyler doesn't come from SG so I asked him. Right now, we've visited a lot of clubs and organizations so have other candidates but not a lot have continued. We want to keep that up through out the year. We want to visit clubs and events. We want to reach out them and go them and they will know.
Erin M Supinka
07:53:27 pm
JS: I personally want to go to all these clubs and to be a part of the All Clubs meeting. It's something that already exists and would help cut down the amount of time we would have to spend. It would be faster and quicker for us and reach them more effectively.
Erin M Supinka
07:53:59 pm
Audience: To the VP candidates - What is your experience with running meetings and working admins?
Erin M Supinka
07:54:55 pm
JF: I currently sit on the my e board, I also headed the Polar Plunge Team and have lead large meetings as well.
Erin M Supinka
07:55:52 pm
TP: I am the VP of a professional organization now and run the meeting as well as manage committees. Also I work with administration through my position with Imagine RIT. I also take classes that train me for this. Running a meeting is easy for me.
Erin M Supinka
07:56:24 pm
M: Audience questions are now closed. Each candidate has a one minute closing statement.
Erin M Supinka
07:57:34 pm
AC: Again, I want to thank you so much for coming in today. We appreciate the questions. Tyler and I are people who say this is not just our campus, it's yours too. We want more and better feedback so we can make it better for. We want to hear everyone's voice. We want to implement as many of goals, you can see them on our website. We want to put the student back in Student Government. Thank you so much for coming.
Erin M Supinka
07:58:21 pm
JS: We're running for pres and vp to represent you guys as students. We'll be down in Fire Side lounge afterwards to ask more questions. We'll meet you down there. Otherwise, thank you very much and fantastic job Tristan.
Erin M Supinka
07:59:04 pm
M: Voting is next week, 14th - 17th. vote.rit.edu There will be two physical locations, one in the SDC and one in Monroe Hall.
In Extra Mile By Erin Supinka on April 12th 2014

Student Government is now accepting nominations for the Extra Mile Award! Know of faculty, staff or department who've done great things for their students, nominate them below!

In Elections By Erin Supinka on April 18th 2014

Your SG and MSO leaders for next year:

President & Vice President:
Ashley Carrington and Tyler Pierce

CAST: Kelsey Kiefer
CHST: Kimberly Duru
CIAS: Andrea Schaver
COLA: Zoe Gordon
COS: Sarah Wang
GCCIS: Katheleen Tigue
Graduate: Kshitij Luthria
Greek: Peter Ryan Jr.
KGCOE: Flo de Sande
NTID: Franly Ulerio-Nunez
Women's: Nicole Howley

NSA President and Vice President:
Andre Webster and Abigail Peterson

NSC President and Vice President:
Alex Van Hook and Ana Trujillo

RHA President and Vice President
Tal Cohen and Nick Depinet

The results in full will be posted at vote.rit.edu at 3:30