Student Government Finance Committees
SG recognizes and support 3 separate committees that exist to provide financial assistant to students and student organizations at RIT. The committees are Finance committee, Sports Fed, and Greek Finance Committee.
You should apply to finance committee if you are an SG recognized club, or an individual student. The committee will typically hear requests that support an event for RIT students, or the travel for a conference where students directly represent RIT.
Contact: SG Director of Finance, firstname.lastname@example.org
You should apply to Sports Fed if you are a competitive sports club. The federation typically hears requests for travel associated with competition.
Contact: Clubs Graduate Assistant, email@example.com
For SG Recognized Clubs and Organizations
How to do an AFAF
(AFAF – Application for Additional Funds)
Once you have decided that you need to apply for additional funds, there are a few things you need to do before coming to Finance Committee.
First, you need to determine if Finance Committee will be able to help you. Here are a few examples, for a complete list check the Finance Committee Standing Rules within the SG Bylaws.
- The event must be open to the entire RIT community.
- SG does not fund t-shirts unless they are proven to be essential for an event.
- SG does not fund food unless it is cultural food.
- If you are requesting money for equipment, you must have on campus storage for it.
- SG can only fund up to 50% of travel expenses.
- SG will not reimbursements unless discussed with the Director of Finance first.
Once you have determined you can apply for additional funds, navigate to sg.rit.edu/AFAF to complete your application. Follow these steps to turn in a successful AFAF:
- Fill out the appropriate request form. To access the forms correctly you will need to be logged into your RIT google account.
- Ensure the form is as accurate as possible.
- Create a google doc showing your detailed budget for your request and put the link to the doc in your form. NOTE: Make sure the link says “anyone on the internet can find and view”
- Include what the event is, why you don’t have the budget to pay for it, what you have done to fundraise for the event, and how the funding of your event will benefit RIT.
- For Travel: show estimated flight, lodging, and meal costs and any applicable registration fees. Breakdown each item and list where the money will come from (Finance committee if awarded, your organization, an outside sponsorship)
- For events: show costs of all factors of the event (FMS, Tech Crew, food, supplies, etc) and list where the money will come from (finance committee if awarded, your organization, or an outside sponsorship)
Once your form is submitted you will be contacted by firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting. If the request is less than $500 you will be scheduled for a one on one meeting with the Director of Finance. Requests over $500 will be scheduled to come to FInance Committee.
Meetings are scheduled on a weekly basis, for Fall semester Finance Committee is held on Mondays 9am-11am. Finance Committee is first come first serve. Be sure to include this in the planning of your event. If you turn your AFAF in at the last minute and there are no open spots in Finance Committee that week, we will not bump someone else because of your poor planning.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Director of Finance at email@example.com. Thank you!
For competitive sports clubs
Link to the application: https://thelink.rit.edu/organization/ClubsRIT/availableforms
The Sports Federation is a student-run financial process for competitive sports clubs to gain additional funding for their respective teams. The Federation is composed of one voting member from each of the 27 competitive sports clubs at RIT. Competitive sports clubs that wish to receive additional funding must submit a funding request via the Clubs@RIT Link page, and must also present their funding request to the members of the Federation. At such time, voting members discuss the request, motion for funding allotment amounts, and then vote to approve or deny such motions.
Additional Funding shall be considered for:
- Gas reimbursement ($0.50/mile), so long as the destination is greater than 300 miles away from RIT
- Hotel Accommodations, up to $50 per night per room
- Safety equipment required by the team’s league or sanctioning body
- Unanticipated expenses, such as an increase of league fees, change of travel destination, etc
Additional Funding shall not be considered for expenses such as:
- Team jerseys and non-safety equipment
- Tournament or League entry fees
- Anticipated costs
Teams that wish to receive additional funding are expected to prepare a formal presentation, including specific details regarding the reason for travel, anticipated costs, membership dues and individual costs, travel accommodations, and other pertinent information. As well, the presenter must prepare a spreadsheet that breaks down all costs, along with the team’s past expenditures, current budget, and membership dues.
For OFSL Recognized Greek Organizations
Process of a Greek Finance Committee Request
Fill out the GFC Form: https://fslatrit.wufoo.com/forms/xipfu821towlkz/
Prepare some documents: current chapter budget, budget for request and current bank account balance
Your organization’s current standing will be verified to see if you are eligible for requests
The Greek Senator will set-up a meeting time for your group to come in and present on the request
The meeting is held and the committee will make a decision
The request maker will be notified on the decision. There are 3 options from there.
Accept the decision and receive money from the Club Center
Deny the decision and don’t receive the money
Appeal decision and go through process again (only doable once)
Tips and Advice
Cheat Sheet of acceptable requests: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7p928_8_g3JaVlTeWVLY1YyQnM
Cheat Sheet of non-acceptable requests: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7p928_8_g3JTll3QklSN0Y1NlU
For anything not listed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to clarify
Have a knowledgeable presenter (Informed about the event and/or request, Can answer questions from the committee, Informed on request budget specifics, Can be multiple presenters and does not have to be the person who made the request)
Have a detailed budget (Lay out everything that the request will be, Describe exactly what you want the committee to fund, Organized in a proper format (excel document works best), Sample budget – https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7p928_8_g3JaXptWG85M0ZuaGc)
To represent to the interests of the student body through the implementation of innovative programs, services, and initiatives that enrich student lives. We will be the primary source of advocacy for students from Rochester Institute of Technology and we will utilize our shared governance structure to voice student opinion and concern. RIT Student Government will be the forefront of change within the university.
Phone (585) 475-4043
Visit Us Campus Center, First Floor
Office Hours Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm